Are you operating a fall prevention program, and looking for supporting educational materials? Do you want to learn about organizations that are active in helping to prevent falls? Here is a list of organizations that offer valuable materials that can help you enhance your program.
If you know of any relevant organizations not listed here, send us an email at info@StopFalls.org and we will consider them for inclusion.
Click each organization name below for a list of available resources.
- Australian Government Department of Health – Injury Prevention in Australia
- Health Direct – Fall Prevention
- Health Direct – General Falls Information
- Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Government, Act Health
- Australian Capital Territory: Dept of Health – Find a Health Service
- My Aged Care
- Queensland Government-Health Services
- Victoria State Government, Dept. of Health and Human Services
- NSW Government Clinical Excellence Commission
- NSW Falls Prevention Network
- NSW Health System
- Northern Territory Government
- Northern Territory Government – Falls in Hospitals
- Government of Western Australia Department of Health
- Active Aging Australia Inc.
- National Ageing Research Institute (NARI)
- Injury Matters, Western Australia
- Osteoporosis Australia
- The Division of Aging and Seniors, Public Health Agency of Canada | Fact Sheets
- Veterans Affairs Canada and Health Canada
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
- British Columbia HealthLinkBC
- Alberta Health Services
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) – What To Do After a Fall Poster
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) – The Safe Living Guide
- Registered Nurses Association of Ontario, Canada: Best Practice (PDF)
- The British Columbia Injury Research and Prevention Unit
- British Columbia Falls and Injury Prevention Coalition (BCFIPC)
- Vancouver Coastal Health
- Vancouver Coastal Health Falls Prevention Clinic
Community and Hospital
- New Zealand Injury Prevention Strategy
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry for Social Development, Office for Seniors – Preventing Falls and Fractures from Osteoporosis
- Age UK Fall Prevention Resources
- Age UK Search for a Handyperson
- Age UK Staying Steady Information Guide
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, Ireland
Prevention of Falls Network for Dissemination (ProFouND) – falls prevention across Europe
European Association for Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion (EuroSafe)
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA)
Regional/national perspectives on Falls prevention in Older Age
Home Alone AllianceSM, a collaborative from AARP, Family Caregiver Series Videos and Fact Sheets
- Preparing Your Home for Safe Mobility(Video)
- Preparing Your Home for Safe Mobility (Fact Sheet)
- What to do When Someone Falls (Video)
- What to do When Someone Falls (Fact Sheet)
- Using a Walker or Cane and Navigating Stairs (Video)
- Using a Walker or Cane and Navigating Stairs (Fact Sheet)
- Moving from a Walker to Shower or Bed (Video)
- Moving from a Walker to Shower or Bed (Fact Sheet)
- The above resources can be found in Spanish here: https://www.aarp.org/ppi/initiatives/home-alone-alliance/
- Falls In The Elderly: Analysis on determining and treating the underlying cause of falls.
- Preventing Falls: Which Intervention Is Most Effective? Outlines several interventions that have successfully reduced the incidence of falls among elderly people living at home.
- What Causes Falls In the Elderly? How Can I Prevent A Fall? Discusses common causes of falls as well as how to prevent falls and how to involve family in helping prevent falls.
- Falls and Balance Problems: Answers to common questions about falls and recommended sources for help.
- Guideline for the Prevention of Falls in Older Persons: Detailed article about the risk factors for falling and recommended interventions.
- Mobility Problems: Walking Tips: Describes the benefits of walking and recommendations for safety.
- Preventing Serious Falls: Tips for Older Adults and Their Loved Ones: Tips on how to prevent falls, and what to do if you do experience a fall.
- What To Ask: Falls Prevention: A list of questions to ask your doctor about your risk of falling.
- Practical Approaches to Reducing Falls in Nursing Facilities: Steps that can be taken to reduce the risk and lessen the chance that falls will result in injury in nursing facilities.
- Falls Prevention Interdisciplinary Presentation: This toolkit was developed by the American Occupational Therapy Association and the Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy, a component of the American Physical Therapy Association, and is intended for any health professional involved in falls prevention to deliver to groups of older adults living in the community.
- Preventing Falls in Older Californians: State of the Art (Preconference White Paper): White paper outlining the significance of injurious falls to older persons, best practices to reduce fall risk, screening for fall risk and descriptions of appropriate interventions tailored to individual needs.
- Creating a California Blueprint for Fall Prevention (Conference Proceedings): White paper discussing the scope of the problem of fall prevention, interventions in California, other system-wide interventions and effecting change in California.
- Fall Prevention Center of Excellence: Started in September 2004, this foundation launched a statewide Fall Prevention Initiative in the state of California to help with risk assessment, exercise and environmental modications for fall prevention.
- Fear of Falling: It’s A Matter of Balance: This video includes interviews with a group of elders on common thoughts and fears about physical activity that lead to inactivity. The seniors discuss challenges they faced in recovering and maintaining their functional independence.
- FallProof Balance and Mobility Program: This program is designed to provide physical activity instructors and health care professionals with the knowledge and practical skills necessary to develop and implement fall risk reduction programs in their communities.
- Bruno and Alice: A Love Story in Twelve Parts About Seniors and Safety: A series of twelve illustrated stories following the whimsical romance of two active seniors who, through lack of prevention, end up in awkward situations and almost miss their rendezvous with love. The stories offer insight into some of the personal preventive measures seniors can take to make their environment safer and prevent injuries.
- Stay Safe (Poster): Illustration showing 14 dangerous household problems that could lead to falls.
- The Safe Living Guide: A Guide to Home Safety for Seniors: Guide to keeping the home and yourself safe, including nutrition checklist, medication safety checklist and more.
- You Can Prevent Falls – Fact Sheets: Fact sheets to help assess fall prevention including improving your health, having a safe home and lifestyle and reducing the risks.
- STEADI: A Tool Kit To Prevent Senior Falls: Fact sheets, graphs, and brochures about falls and fall prevention for older adults designed for fall prevention programs.
- STEADI: A Tool Kit To Prevent Senior Falls: Brochures: Brochures about what you can do to prevent falls and checklists for safety.
- Important Facts About Falls
- Cost of Falls
- Older Adult Falls Programs
- Falls Among Older Adults: Facts and lists about the programs and accomplishments by the CDC regarding falls among older adults.
- Falls and Hip Fractures Among Older Adults: List of facts and figures from the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control about falls and hip fractures.
- U.S. Fall Prevention Programs for Seniors: A comprehensive PDF about fall prevention programs for seniors from the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.
- Infographic on the Medical Costs of Fatal and Nonfatal Falls in Older Adults
- The Case for Action on Fall Prevention in California: A fact sheet on the issue of falls in California
- Catch Yourself: Simple steps to prevent falls: One-sheet document (PDF) that outlines steps to help you “catch yourself” by reducing the risk of falling. (click here for the Spanish Version | Korean Version)
- Home Modification: An introduction to some everyday situations that pose risks for falls, along with possible solutions. (click here for the Spanish Version | Korean Version)
- Stats on Falls Among Older Adults – Information on falls related outcomes, medical costs and risk groups.
- National Falls Prevention Resource Center
- Falls Prevention Conversation Guide for Caregivers
- Evidence-Based Falls Prevention Programs
- Falls Prevention Awareness Day Resources
- State Falls Prevention Coalitions
- 2015 Falls Free National Falls Prevention Action Plan
- Research Review Papers
- Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) Code Flyer for Health Professionals
- Balance Problems: This document explains balance problems and offers treatment and research options.
- Exercise for Older Adults: Provides benefits of exercise, safety, charing progress and frequently asked questions about exercise for older adults.
- National Resource Center for Safe Aging: This website contains a wealth of falls-related information for public health professionals, with links to many other useful sites.
- Fall-Proofing Your Home
- Exercise to Improve Balance
- Safe Use of Medicines for Older Adults
- National Directory of Home Modification and Repair Programs: Information and comments on home modification activity nationwide with the ability to find information from the state of your choice.
- Falls in the Home: This site offers a list of articles and resources about falls in the home.
- Older Californians At Risk for Avoidable Falls Policy Brief: This policy brief examines the growing rate of repeated falls among senior citizens, comparing data from the 2003 and 2007 California Health Interview Survey (CHIS).
- Repeat Falls Among Older Californians Policy Brief