FPCE Exercise Brochures Available for Order
The Fall Prevention Center of Excellence is proud to announce the release of their 3 set exercise brochures. The illustrated booklets each exhibit ten exercises, in large print, that demonstrate how individuals can remain balanced, flexible and able-bodied in order to prevent falls. For maximum usability, the guide is in a calendar format, which allows the user to attach it to any upright surface, so readers can follow along as they train. The three booklets feature simple exercises that older adults can carry out at home.
To order a single booklet, or the entire set, please fill out the Order Form and either mail it or fax it to the Fall Prevention Center of Excellence.
FallProof at Home DVDs Now Available for Order
A progressive set of exercises excerpted from the national award-winning FallProof™ Balance and Mobility Training Program created by Debra Rose, PhD, at the Center For Successful Aging, California State University, Fullerton. The program consists of three levels of exercises for older adults.
To order individual DVDs or the entire set, please fill out the Order Form and either mail it or fax it to CSU-Fullerton – Center for Successful Aging.
Center Authored Resources
Click on each of the following sections to reveal more FPCE authored resources.
Center Authored Resources
Presentations of the 2009 ASA/NCO Joint Conference Workshop: Fall Prevention: Translating Knowledge Into Action
- California’s Strategies in Fall Prevention – Jon Pynoos, PhD, Co-Director, Fall Prevention Center of Excellence
- CDC’s Effort in Fall Prevention – Judy Stevens, PhD, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Educational Approaches – Debra J. Rose, PhD, Co-Director, Fall Prevention Center of Excellence
- Teaching Fall Prevention in California Colleges – Janet C. Frank, DrPH, UCLA Multicampus Program I Geriatric Medicine & Gerontology
- Model-Building: Evidence, Elements & Evaluation – Laurence Z. Rubenstein, MD, MPH, Co-Director, Fall Prevention Center of Excellence
- Strategies for Developing a Fall Prevention Infrastructure: Broad Information Dissemination -Maria Henke, MA, Assistant Dean, Andrus Gerontology Center, USC
- Falls Among Older Californians: What Public Health Surveillance Tells Us – Roger B. Trent, Ph.D., Chief, California Department of Public Health, Injury Surveillance and Epidemiology Section
- Addressing Falls in Facility-Based Communities – Steven C. Castle, M.D., Professor of Geriatrics, University of California, Los Angeles; Chief, Geriatric Medicine, VA Greater LA; Corporate Medical Director, SCPH
- Conveying Fall Risk to Local Policy Makers and Service Providers – Caroline Cicero, PhD, CPG, Doctoral Student, Research Assistant, Fall Prevention Center of Excellence
- InSTEP: Increasing Stability Through Evaluation and Practice – Josea Kramer, PhD, Debra J. Rose, PhD, Laurence Z. Rubenstein, MD, MPH
- California Fall Prevention Projects Poster Session – Rachel Zerbo, MPH, Fall Prevention Project Manager, California Department of Public Health
- National Efforts in Fall Prevention – Bonita Lynn Beattie, PT, MPT, MHA Vice President, Injury Prevention National Council on Aging
On December 5-6, 2007, more than 140 invited stakeholders from various fields gathered in Long Beach, California to map out next steps on how California can better address the serious problem of falls in a rapidly growing older adult population. The Summit Goals were to: 1) increase knowledge about state of the art fall prevention efforts; 2) develop strategies to sustain and replicate promising fall prevention programs; and 3) generate recommendations to improve policies in the areas of Community Programs, Education and Training, Health Care, Healthy Lifestyles and Recreation, and Safe Housing and Communities. Due to the large nature of the proceedings, the files have been divided into sections.
- Technical Assistance Brief #1 – Implementing Fall Prevention Components with Participants in Community Programs, Gretchen Alkema, PhD
- Technical Assistance Brief #2 – Integrating Fall Prevention Components into Existing Organizational Structures, Gretchen Alkema, PhD
- Technical Assistance Brief #3 – Recruitment of Fall Prevention Coalition Members, Katie Mack, MPA, MSG and Julie Overton, MSG/MHA
- Technical Assistance Brief #4 – Strategic Planning for Coalitions, Katie Mack, MPA, MSG and Julie Overton, MSG/MHA
- Technical Assistance Brief #5 – Evaluation Basics for Fall Prevention Coalitions and Programs, Gretchen Alkema, PhD & Phoebe Liebig, PhD
- Technical Assistance Brief #6 – Pathways to Sustaining Fall Prevention Activities, Emily B. Nabors, MSG, Gretchen Alkema, PhD & Phoebe Liebig, PhD
- Putting All The Pieces Together: Promoting Independence and Preventing Falls Through InSTEP Model Projects
- Data on Falls in California Sorted by County
- Profile of CA Falls – Christy Nishita , Ph.D and In Hee Choi, PhD
- Falls Among Older Adults: Public Health Surveillance Issue – In Hee Choi, PhD , Roger B. Trent, Ph.D. , Christy M. Nishita, Ph.D. , and Jon Pynoos, Ph.D.
- Talk With Your Doc About Falls – Tips on talking to your doctor about falls.
- Home Modification – A brief introduction to home modification, a list of everyday situations that pose risks for falls.
- Catch Yourself – Simple Steps to Prevent Falls.
- Preventing Outdoor Falls – Tips to stay safe in the community.
- Assistive Devices – Benefits of assistive devices and how to get an assistive device
- Falls and Vision Loss (Extended Version)
- Falls and Vision Loss – A less technical version describing how changes in vision increase the risk of falls.
- Preventing Falls with Pets – Tips to stay safe around dogs and cats.
- Preventing Medication – Related Falls – Understanding drug side effects and fall risk.
- Multi-factorial and Physical Activity Programs for Fall Prevention – Debra Rose, PhD, Laurence Rubenstein, MD, MPH, Anna Q. Nguyen, OTD, OTR/L, Caroline Cicero, PhD & Bernard A. Steinman, PhD
- Home Modification
- Catch Yourself
- Preventing Outdoor Falls
- Assistive Devices
- Falls and Vision Loss
- Preventing Medication-Related Falls
- Preventing Falls with Pets