for Individuals and Families
Balance and Mobility
Tools You Can Use
- Balance Problems: This document explains balance problems and offers treatment and research options.
- Exercise for Older Adults: Provides benefits of exercise, safety, charing progress and frequently asked questions about exercise for older adults.
- National Resource Center for Safe Aging: This website contains a wealth of falls-related information for public health professionals, with links to many other useful sites.
- Tai Chi: (Chinese) Food for Thought: Research points to Tai Chi as a helpful tool in preventing falls in the aging population.
- Falls: General Information: Answers many common questions about falls and fall prevention.
- Mobility Problems: Detailed information on understanding mobility problems, when to seek professional help, and what to do to help identify and eliminate fall hazards.
- Preventing Falls One Step At A Time: Article suggesting that both improving balance through exercise and employing “fall-proofing” behaviors in and around the home will help to avoid falls and reduce risks for falls.
- Tai Chi: A New Look At An Old Exercise: Find out more about Tai chi, which is most popular with older adults who seek low impact exercise. Exercise is a key element in fall prevention.
- The Hardest Part: Coldplay Music Video: Our goal at the FPCE and stopfalls.org is to make the aging population's life one that is free from falls. Better mobility and balance is a way to ensure this. This humorous video shows what are goal is for every elderly person.
- Bruno and Alice: A Love Story in Twelve Parts About Seniors and Safety: A series of twelve illustrated stories following the whimsical romance of two active seniors who, through lack of prevention, end up in awkward situations and almost miss their rendezvous with love. The stories offer insight into some of the personal preventive measures seniors can take to make their environment safer and prevent injuries.