- Elderly Falls Cut By 11 Percent With Education And Intervention – A recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine July 17 showed that the elderly population reduced falls when given the proper education and prevention techniques.
- Utilization of a Screening Tool to Identify Homebound Older Adults at Risk for Falls: Validity and Reliability – This report from Home Health Care Services Quarterly examins the reliability and validity of a Falls Risk Assessment (FRA) tool developed to identify risk factors associated with falls in homebound older adults. (PDF)
- Assessing the Environment for Fall Prevention (2004) – These power point slides were presented at the Archstone Foundation California Fall Prevention Consortium at the ASA/NCOA Annual Conference in San Francisco on April 15, 2004. (PDF)
- Fear of Falling Among Seniors: Needs Assessment and Intervention Strategies (2003) – A beta version of an online course from the University of Pittsburgh.
- Home Health Care Management, Caring Choices (April 2006) – Multi-Factorial Fall Risk Assessment and Intervention for Community Dwelling Seniors: The Role of Home Health Agencies.
- Patient Handout: Balance and Fall Prevention - Simple exercises to improve balance and muscle strength. (PDF)
- Physical Fitness: A Tool for Healthy Aging - Debra J. Rose’s powerpoint presentation from the Center for Successful Aging at California State University in Fullerton (Presented at the SIPP Conference). (PDF)
- Prevention of Falls and Fall Injuries in the Older Adult (Revised 2017) - Published by the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario, Canada, the purpose of the guideline is to increase all nurses’ confidence, knowledge, skills and abilities in the identification of adults within health care facilities at risk of falling, and to define interventions for the prevention of falling. It does not include interventions for the prevention of falls and fall injuries in older adults living in community settings. (PDF)
- Randomized Controlled Trial of Fall Prevention Strategies in Old Peoples’ Homes, A (2000) - This study set out to examine the preventability of falls in older people living in institutional care. (PDF)
- Randomized Controlled Trial of a Multicomponent Home Intervention to Reduce Functional Difficulties in Older Adults, A (2006) - This study set out to test the efficacy of a multicomponent intervention to reduce functional difficulties, fear of falling, and home hazards and enhance self efficacy and adaptive coping in older adults with chronic conditions. (PDF)
- Role of the Environment in Fall Prevention at Home and in the Community, The (2004) - A White Paper prepared for the National Council on the Aging, “Falls Free Summit,” December 2004.
- Role of Home Modification in Fall Prevention (2003) - Conference Proceedings from the conference “Creating a California Blueprint for Fall Prevention: Proceedings of a Statewide Conference.” The Archstone Foundation, October 2004. (PDF)
- State of the Art in Fall Prevention (2003) - Conference Proceedings from the conference “Creating a California Blueprint for Fall Prevention: Proceedings of a Statewide Conference.” The Archstone Foundation, October 2004. (PDF)
- What You Can Do To Prevent Falls (Spanish Version)
A print-ready publication from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that lists four simple actions that can help reduce the risk for falls. (PDF)
- Home Safety & Modification Webinar: Creating Better Homes for Aging in Place - National Council on Aging and Fall Prevention Center of Excellence webinar on the role of home safety and home modification in preventing falls among older adults, including funding sources and practical resources to keep older adults safe in their homes.
Posted in: Service Providers